Discussion questions:______ask and answer
1. Do children in your country learn traditional songs which their grandparents also
know? What are these songs about? What instruments are used to play these songs?
2. Does your country have any traditional dances for special ceremonies at different times
of the year? Describe the dances and the traditional dance costumes.
3. In Britain, there is a long tradition of playing cricket and tennis in the summer and
football and rugby at other times of the year. What are the traditional sports in your
country? Is your country still good at these sports? Describe the traditional clothing.
4. Traditional food in Britain includes roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, fish & chips and
haggis while traditional drinks include beer (best bitter) and whisky. What traditional
food and drinks do you have in your country?
5. In Britain, when you are invited to a dinner party, it is traditional to bring a bottle of
wine and flowers or chocolates for the hostess. It is normal to arrive on time, but not
too early. What happens in your country?
6. London businessmen used to wear grey suits and bowler hats. They also carried
umbrellas and read The Times newspaper. What is the traditional image of
business people in your capital city?
7. In very traditional British schools, the pupils stand up when the teacher enters the
room. Teachers used to wear square black hats and long black gowns. It is also
traditional to have school assemblies before morning lessons and to sing a special
school song at the end of term. Do schools in your country have similar traditions?
8. In the British calendar, the traditional ceremonies include Hogmanay (the Scottish
New Year), pancake day in February, dancing on 1st May and bonfire night in
November when we burn an effigy of the man who tried to blow up Parliament.
When are the traditional ceremonies in your country and what happens?
9. Describe a traditional wedding ceremony in your country.
10. Describe the traditions relating to your country’s Royal Family, Centre of Government
or System of Justice.